Saturday, March 4, 2017

Not such a Small family

Gettin' this Small family together isn't what it used to be.  In the old days, we could all fit in one van.  There was a time when I could run to the basement, find my brother, and ask--no, plead--him to give me a story idea.  Sunday afternoons were defined by family bike rides or relaxing quietly in the yard with an ice cream bar and my best buddies.  I could run across the field to my sister and brother-in-law's apartment and fake an interest in guitar just for an excuse to be with my sister...or maybe we'd take a back-road spin in her blue Jeep.

But it's not like that anymore.  Growing up brings changes of all kinds.  Now all of us are beyond high-school (more on that later!), 3 of us are married, 1 of us lives across the country, and 13 nieces and nephews have been added to the count.  It's hard to get together, much less find a place that fits all of us!  But we usually find a way at least once a year.  The kids go wild with each other; the adults eat, laugh, and peace-make.  
This year we went ahead and got our gathering "over with" early.  In the past several years, we've gotten together in the summer, but some things are hard to do in the summer.  (Such as snowboard.)  I actually didn't take many pictures over our [nearly] 2 weeks with family, though.  But something about that tells me that we were just having too good of a time to get behind a camera.  (Though I still wish we'd gotten an actual family picture together!)

My sister-in-law made these AMAZING chocolate peanut butter bars.  I think I ate the majority of them, even though I was sick.

Popping packing bubbles is easy entertainment.
Another tradition that faded away for a few years (are we bringing this back to life?!) was a yearly day trip to White Pass.  Last year a few of us were able to go for the first time in several years.  This year all 24 of us headed back to the pass in 4 different cars.  (vans, whatever.)  I always love getting back to that place, and spending another full day there was heavenly.
Arrived and anxious to get out in all the snow!

Clouds can't keep us from enjoying the day.  But they sure did keep us from seeing very far up the mountain!



Back at home the following week, there was still partying to be had, besides some quieter days together on the home-front before all this family time came to an end.  As an aunt, I enjoy seeing all these different personalities growing up and learning new things.  The yearly reunions give me a chance to be part of their lives in person, and I'm thankful for the mail system that keeps me involved from a distance for the rest of the year!



Judah, Jonathan, and Emma
Judah washed many windows without a complaint!  He's definitely worth hiring.


Eve and Judah squeezed and zested many oranges to make sure those orange marshmallows were full of flavor.



Judah trying so hard to laugh...but not winning the battle
Moriah and the family pet (who is getting rather old by now), Billy.



Thankful for my family and the effort everyone puts in to make our reunions possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether friend or stranger, I'm glad you stopped by! Hearing from you brightens my day, so feel free to communicate with me here.