Saturday, June 3, 2017

Aunt behind the camera

"Sometimes you need to talk to a 3 year old so you can understand life again."

Talking to kids, particularly between the ages of 3 and 5, can be a hilarious experience.  I love their unique ways of thinking and processing.  They have such a fresh view of life and a humorous perspective on the world.  I learn a lot of great quotes and facts from them.

I get lots of opportunities to tap into kid brains. As you all probably know by now by the countless pictures of kids on this blog, I am an aunt.  And an aunt of 13, no less.   I was more than ready to earn this title at the age of 8 when my first niece was born.  Although I now have years of experience, I'm finding that I haven't actually perfected the art yet...at all.  I'm not very good at selflessly loving and serving these kids that call me by a special title.  But somehow they are still big fans of mine, and I get to have them each in my life forever.

Last month I got to be with a few of the nieces/nephews a bit, and this time the camera was there, too.  I often neglect to put the kids behind the camera, but I'm tired of leaving these years and times together out of the lens.  Catching some of the little moments of just being together is important.  Here are some snapshots of babysitting/hanging out with a few nieces and nephews last month.  


Cutest little biker.
"Don't forget that safety is first."

While all the parents were away, we pulled out the finger paints.  "Shhh...don't tell your mom and dad what a mess we made!"  
In the beginning, we were more careful.  Use of paper towels was encouraged.


By the end, all those attempts to keep the area clean were down the drain.  Now the goal was to just have fun and paint everything in sight.  Good thing it's washable!
Watching the bubbles float by.
This intense bubble blower!
Teaching Moriah how to handle a DSLR camera was an interesting experience.  At this point I was really wishing I had a second camera to capture what the "behind the scenes" looked like!
Isn't this the cutest?!
Moriah's favorite thing is to be as silly as possible in front of the camera.  She thought it was pretty hilarious; but if I also made a silly face, I was considered ridiculous.  She's super funny, and sometimes we get along suspiciously well...



"Aunts aren't substitute parents; they're co-conspirators."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether friend or stranger, I'm glad you stopped by! Hearing from you brightens my day, so feel free to communicate with me here.