Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Top 10 villains!

Guess what? Rebekah Eddy at Rebekah's Remarks tagged me for the top 10 villains post.  I know that was quite a while ago, but I am finally getting to it, as promised.  This is especially good news because it means that I have a computer again!!  This is kind of an answer to prayers because I no longer have to worry about the unpredictableness of my old computer.  Maybe I should use my old computer as one of my top villains...
I had a surprisingly difficult time coming up with 10 villains.  Remember when I said that I don't read much?  I don't see a large variety of movies, either...and I have the memory of a flea (no, I haven't studied fleas that specifically) when it comes to books that I've read.  It may seem as though many in my list are not exactly villains, so first, let me define "villain" from the dictionary:
  1. A cruelly malicious person who is involved in or devoted to wickedness or crime.
  2. A character in a play, novel, or the like who constitutes an important evil agency in the plot.
Keep in mind that I'm following the 2nd definition more closely.

1. The witch, "Queen" Jadis, in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: 
Her part is so fantastic, mostly because of the numerous spiritual connections between her and Aslan.  She is the perfect mix of someone who draws people in and yet she still has a lot of harshness.  And, aside from the part she plays, her chain dress is incredible.  :)

2. Screwtape from Screwtape Letters: 
Hmmm...I seem to be on a C.S. Lewis strike already!  This book is a relatively easy read, but it has so much truth.  Screwtape reveals so much of Satan, who is always eager to break us down in whatever way possible.

3. Travilla from Elsie Dinsmore:
I know I have expressed my deep dislike for this series already, so I'll try not to go too in-depth this time.  Travilla had no business marrying Elsie, though.  Seriously.  He was Mr. Dinsmore's friend, and then he goes and marries the young daughter.  This made for one of the most disturbing romance stories.  He was like Elsie's uncle figure all her growing up life, and then they got married!  Ok, I'll just stop right there.

4. 2 pig brothers from The Three Little Pigs:
I know most people think of the wolf as being the villain character.  But 2 of the pigs, knowing the danger with the wolf, built little shacks: one out of straw and the other from twigs.  They were out to save time and energy, not to live prudently, you might say.  Then, when in need, they went and took advantage of the other brother, who had taken the time to build wisely.  The 3rd pig was very forgiving and generous to let them find safety in his home.

5. Tom from Tom and Jerry:
Tom was constantly getting into trouble and risking everything in the house to destroy Jerry.  However, half the time Tom didn't really deserve to be punished since Jerry was always setting him up.

For the second half, I'm going to use "villainous" characters from the Bible.  The Bible tells of numerous people who had evil intent, many of which have a common theme of jealousy.

6. Cain, Adam's son:
Cain was didn't want to make the effort to please God.  He was in it for himself and was determined to get away with the least possible thing.  Driven to such an extreme hatred for his brother, Abel, Cain became the world's first murderer.

7. Esau, Isaac's son:
Similar to Cain, Esau was motivated by a hatred for his brother.  Do you see a common theme?  :)  Even from the beginning, families and relationships have struggled very deeply.  Esau intended to kill his brother as well, but Jacob was warned and the twins were able to be reconciled later.

8. Jonah, deep-sea diver:
I find it ironic that Jonah was a prophet and man of God, and yet he still fought with the goodness of God's mercy and forgiveness.  Jonah didn't want to follow God's calling when he found out that God expected him to call an evil city to repentance.  Jonah suffered from a great deal of selfishness, both when God asked him to preach to Nineveh and when Nineveh repented.

9. The administers and satraps of King Darius' kingdom:
Here were high authorities seeking more power.  Yet they found that Daniel had much power just from his connection with God.  Their solution, as usual, was to get rid of Daniel.  Let's just say that their plan back-fired.

10. King Saul:
After discovering David and his popularity, Saul became very jealous and upset.  He had more power and authority than David, but David was more highly respected.  Power and authority were not enough for Saul; he wanted to be respected and honored, too, but he went about it in all the wrong ways.  His solution was also turning to murder.

Many villains have several things in common.  They are often driven by jealousy or hatred, usually for the "good guys."  Then they always choose revenge in some way to give themselves recognition. They are seeking power in all the wrong ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether friend or stranger, I'm glad you stopped by! Hearing from you brightens my day, so feel free to communicate with me here.