Monday, January 1, 2018

2017 in review


It is always hard for me to look back over the entire year and pick out the highlights.  It seems as if there are either too many hard things or too many wonderful things; the reality is that there is a good bit of both, and I can’t possibly write about them all…but I like to attempt anyway.

The year started on a very pleasant note as I closed my high-school books for the last time in mid-January.   After years of set-backs, it was a relief to see that era of my life come to an end at long last.  My thoughtful family, who seems to always be on the look-out for an excuse for some kind of surprise, ought to earn a reward for the graduation open-house they threw for me in February.  Not only did my entire immediate family get to be here to celebrate, but several close friends were flown in as a surprise for the momentous occasion.  It was so special to see each of them and so humbling to be reminded of the great lengths my family goes to just for me.

While all of the family was in the same state for my graduation, we were all able to enjoy a cold, wonderful day at White Pass—an old family tradition that wants to be revived.  I am attempting to revive whatever snowboarding capabilities I used to have as well.  I always enjoy getting strapped to the board again, especially when it is alongside my brothers, who are my snowboarding heroes.


Another successful year of teaching at our local after-school program came to an end, and we entered into a very busy summer.   Throughout the summer we hosted our dog’s first litter of puppies, an enthusiastic crew of 8.  We were especially thankful that the puppies were so cute, which greatly contributed to the rapid sale of the litter.

Tirzah and I were asked to teach at our church’s VBS as well as at a local day camp over the summer.   We both enjoyed the opportunity to serve and be with so many wonderful kids from our area.  We were also kept quite busy with our housekeeping business, which requires a lot of attention in the summertime.  The freedom to work on our own schedule is an unmatched benefit of our business.  Tirzah and I are so thankful for the jobs we’ve been offered and the wonderful people we get to work with.



Amidst the pre-existing responsibilities of summer, we were able to fit in a very quick road trip to Wisconsin (as quick as possible, anyway) for the wedding of a friend/honorary family member, Ema.  Although the nights were nearly sleepless and the miles were many, my mom, Tirzah, and I were all so glad to be there in support of someone so special to us.

In August, my mom had a speaking engagement in Alaska, and Tirzah and I were able to join her there for a few days.   Between 4-wheeling, games, canoeing, and late nights, it was so good to see and catch up with several friends there.  3 months earlier Hannah and Christian had been able to visit Washington for the 3rd time, so we were glad to be able to return the favor at last.









As if our summer traveling hadn’t already hit a climax, we drove a very full car east to South Carolina at the end of August.  After spending months praying for wisdom and seeking counsel from several sources, I finally decided to take the leap into college at Bob Jones University.  A very tough semester ensued, providing a college experience that was quite different from my expectations.   Roommates proved to be an interesting (and now mostly laughable) situation, classes kept me exceptionally busy, dorms were certainly not my cozy home in the woods, and having a phone paid off as I spent approximately 20+ hours on phone calls each month.   An outstanding amount of mail/packages from family and friends as well as the company of my 2 cousins in the Greenville area eased the blow of daily life.  I really particularly enjoyed getting better acquainted with my cousins—attending church with them and benefitting from several enjoyable conversations together.  I could go on at length about the laughs, tears, frustrations, and adventures of these past 4 months, but I will not bore you with on-going details.  I learned so much about so many things in this little taste of college, which turned a hard thing into a good thing.

These past couple weeks of blissful Christmas break have hurried by in a blur.  A second litter of puppies has already arrived—but only a very fat pair of 2 this time.  Some short-lived snow gave us a white Christmas, which some people can only dream or sing about.   Family members of all sizes have filled our hearts and bedrooms in the past several days.  I am reminded of the things that matter the most in my life, and my prayer is that my focus will lie there in this coming year.   I do not know what struggles and joys 2018 holds, but I am confident that I am held fast by the One Who loves me most.

Happy New Year to all readers near and far!  May 2018 be filled with evidence of God's love for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether friend or stranger, I'm glad you stopped by! Hearing from you brightens my day, so feel free to communicate with me here.