Saturday, September 23, 2017

Alaska in August

A few weeks ago (ok, almost a couple months ago now!) I had the opportunity to return to Alaska for a few days of visiting with friends and attending a women's retreat (now that makes me feel old!) where my mom was the speaker.  It was so good to get away from home and be with these people, neglecting thoughts of college (which was only a couple weeks away at that time).  Hikes, canoe rides on a lake with a special friend, family, sunsets, and reuniting with people God has put in my life made the trip a refreshing one. 
This is my brother, whom you should be wishing was your brother as well.  I am so thankful God decided to put us in the same family because he brightens my life.  (can you tell that I'm so crazy about him?!)  Caleb took several of us on a hike one afternoon where we got to see a wide range of mountains.


At the camp in Alaska, where I actually lived my first 2 years of life, there is a lovely lake.  It is literally the most peaceful place on the property. Water is weird that way...it can really calm the heart and make one feel better about life.
I got to spend part of an afternoon canoeing with Hannah, which was an adventure!  Neither of us are very skilled in the paddling/steering thing, but I think we got the right idea after about an hour.  At any rate, we certainly had a good time laughing and attempting to get places.

Tirzah and Anna were in the other canoe, and we had started out across the lake together.  But when Hannah and I discovered our severe lack of ability, we parted ways.  They were much more industrious rowers.


Some people went swimming/tubing...

Hannah and I observed from the dock while talking and trying to keep our chocolate from melting.  (Hannah, we're going to have to remember that lakes can serve as refrigerators in a pinch!)
Gideon was practically swallowed by the life jacket, but he didn't seem to mind.





At the conclusion of the women's retreat, we actually got some group photos!  These people didn't make up the entire retreat, but these are the ones that I actually knew from there.  It was a treat to spend time with each of them--such fun people who love the Lord!
So you might recall these faces...that's right, they've appeared on the blog before.  Anna and Kea are still managing to smile after living with us for 3 months in 2016.  This was our first time to all be in the same place again since that time!


On our way back, we stopped for some ice cream, which is apparently a sign of spiritual health after a retreat.  There's gotta be some truth in that, I'm sure.  

We did A LOT of selfies in order to include everyone in the pictures!
Back in the city after the retreat, we did have a couple final days together before our return to Washington.

We were even treated to our first time in a rock climbing gym!  It was so much fun...even though it proved how weak my arms are.  This is such a great form of exercise!





Then came for goodbyes all over again.  This was to be the end of the Fabulous Four reunions taking place every 3 months.  (We actually kept that up pretty well!)  The time spent with them was so special, and saying an extended goodbye was unpleasant.  But I'm grateful that we got to finish out the summer with the Fabulous Four as well as other friends that have been constant and dear to us.


The sun sets again and again.  Now we are all spread across the country again (even more so than before!), in differing time zones.  But somehow the distance and change in time doesn't damage the relationship we have together.  And I'm so grateful it works that way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether friend or stranger, I'm glad you stopped by! Hearing from you brightens my day, so feel free to communicate with me here.