Monday, December 4, 2017

Thanksgiving break: come and gone

As a homeschooler, we didn't really have very defined Thanksgiving breaks.  Now as a college student, Thanksgiving break consists of fixed dates that are anticipated for weeks in advance...probably more for the chance to get away for a few days at a time than for the turkey and stuffing.  And when that magical "break begins" date arrives, after a long time awaiting it, the end of break seems to also be right at the door with its finger on the doorbell.  All I can conclude is that I just don't understand how time works and how some days or weeks speed by while you feel like you are riding a slug during other days and weeks.  Time is extremely mysterious.

One of the things I hate the most about being on the "wrong" coast is that I don't have as much freedom to go back to Washington to be at home and with a majority of my family.  But one of the great things about having a solitary sibling on the east coast is that I can still have somewhere to go for Thanksgiving...without having people fight over who gets me.  :)

Thanksgiving passed by waaaaay too quickly and with way too much homework, but it was still a welcome chance to get away for almost a week and be with family.  Lots of games, homework, eggnog, homework, pie, homework, and other great food happened!  (So maybe I'm a little bitter about the homework.  Haha!)  Sarah over-stuffed me with amazing food all week long and I had unlimited eggnog, too.  It's hard to beat that...though an extra stomach or 2 would've been nice.

Bacon wrapped turkey or blanket wrapped turkey?
Eggnog is where it's at.

As we got out of the van at the Christmas tree farm, I commented "I just know we're gonna pick the tree farthest away from the van" because by now I know how our family works.  It's really not that hard to guess.  Was I right again?  Oh yeah.

Cutting down a little tree with a flimsy handsaw proved to be slightly more difficult than I expected.  But we eventually got it down, carried across the field, strapped on to the van, and back to the house successfully.  Gotta say the piney branches and smell reminded me of home.  <3
Isn't she just a cute little tree-hugger?!  (Not the actual tree we took home, but he was a good friend while it lasted.)






Sunset on the way back to campus after break is the perfect way to end any good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether friend or stranger, I'm glad you stopped by! Hearing from you brightens my day, so feel free to communicate with me here.