Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Winter's argument

I have bad news for everyone.  Winter is coming to an end.  Yes, that was the bad news.  Can I hear a collective sob from the audience?  
Well, to be honest, I only have one complaint against spring: it is the sign that summer is very near.  Most people spend winter wishing it would be summer already.  I spend all year wishing summer didn't exist.  So I have been making sure that every other season feels loved.
In the past couple weeks I have been noticing that life is returning to the bushes around our house.  The tiny, perfect buds are appearing on each branch.  A few days ago we had a really hard frost, though, which seemed to be threatening the apparent signs of spring.  Can't you imagine winter arguing with spring each year?...
Winter: it's not your turn yet!
Spring: umm, YES.  You've taken over for too long.  And everyone wants to see me back.
Winter: I'm just doing my job.  People just won't admit to wanting to be cozy and wrapped in blankets, which is all thanks to me.
Spring: then my job is to make people feel hope in life and warmth.
Winter: no one wants that kind of hope.  
Spring: you have obviously been spending too much time with yourself.
Winter: if you were winter, you would feel neglected, too!
Spring: neglected?!
Winter: well, do people spend all year wishing you didn't exist?  Do people complain about all that you contribute to the world?  NO!  Everyone sees me and hopes you will come quickly.  If anyone has ever felt so unwanted, it is me.
Spring: you have a point. 
So I am here to tell you to enjoy the coldness of winter.  Those days are coming to an end.  If you appreciate the cold, I will try to find joy in the heat of summer.




The frost tries to threaten away the life of spring.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether friend or stranger, I'm glad you stopped by! Hearing from you brightens my day, so feel free to communicate with me here.