Sunday, February 14, 2016

Happy Valentines Day

We often think of Valentines Day as that couples day.  Someone decides to like someone else and sends them cards and messages like "Be my Valentine," "You are the icing to my doughnut," and "roses are red, violets are blue..."
But some of us are single.  And we don't get all that junk.  (some of us don't care for it, either.)  Where is the attention we deserve, though?

"Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I bet you were expecting something romantic, but no
These are just gardening facts."

For as long as I can remember, my family has made Valentine's Day a family celebration. Therefore, I often forget that, for other people, Valentines is strictly celebrated by couples.  We get to wake up to treats at our room doors, and then we give gifts later in the day.  It is a day full of good food, games, family, and laughter.
To the Smalls, Valentines is a fun day to be together--an extra excuse to celebrate! This year is no exception.
It can be easy to get caught up in the celebrating, love, and family, though;  we often forget Who gave the ultimate gift love.  It is through His example that we are shown how to love in the right way.   Sometimes loving comes easily, but most often it does not.  He is a hard act to follow, but a right model to have.  Therefore Valentines isn't only for coupled friends;  it's for you and me.  We are loved by Someone who matters.
Happy Valentines!  As for my family, we'll be over here eating and having fun.
Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, 
that we should be called children of God!
1 John 3:1a

...let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth...
Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
1 John 3:18, 4:11

I must admit, this is one of my favorite shirts.
One year ago Tirzah and I woke up to these giant fuzz-balls sitting at our door.  Sebastian and Ollie were among our last gifts from my dad.  They have made wonderful companions.  NOW tell me what's not to love about Valentines!


1 comment:

  1. Love the shirt. :P It made me smile. ;)
    It's so awesome that you make it a family celebration! That sounds like so much fun! :)

    ReplyDelete

Whether friend or stranger, I'm glad you stopped by! Hearing from you brightens my day, so feel free to communicate with me here.