Sunday, July 5, 2015

Notes from a Pluviophile

This describes me soooo well!
Probably a majority of people thrive on sunshine and warm weather.  Most people who live in Washington exaggerate and say that "it's never sunny here," or "enjoy today's sun while you can," or "sun is so rare here."  These common phrases are all to frequent around here, and they make me want to...well, never mind.  To those of you who are less familiar with Washington: don't ever believe a word of it.  To those of you who are in our state: where have you been??  (not to say you have recently been complaining of this, but usually this is what I hear.)

I am one of those rare type who are the opposite.  Although Washington is known for its rain, I am that one who says, "it never rains around here!"  There is something so calming and perfect in rain.  When it starts to rain, there is a sigh of relief.  I always run to the window and look out in blissful happiness.  Streams of water running down the driveway, puddles, raindrops, dark skies--all are made to bring contentment.

I am really missing rain, wearing sweaters, and even just some clouds!  I actually dread summers every year.  By the time June arrives, I'm already dreaming about the happy world of October and the rest of fall/winter.  I already expect summer to be hot, sunny, and miserable, but this year tops all with most days over 90 degrees.  So, please, try to feel for pluviophiles!!  But then again, I really don't understand those who always want it to be sunny...

"Symptoms" of a pluviophile:
1. Just as the definition above states, there is great satisfaction in a very rainy day.  The harder the rain, the better.
2. Umbrellas are a shame.  What's the problem with getting wet and enjoying it?  (Might I add that wearing hoods are also shameful?  Well, not quite so much.)
3. Rubber boots are not favored by all pluviophiles.  Flip-flops have always been my shoe of choice for any time of year.
4. Looking at the monthly forecast and seeing no rain in sight probably has the same disappointing effect as going to Washington D.C. and not seeing any of the historical buildings.
5. We wish those of you who are sun-crazy would be more considerate of us and occasionally pray for some rain...or snow...or at least some clouds.

These links are perfect, so I need not say much more.  =)
http://thoughtcatalog.com/mica-trinidad/2015/03/7-signs-youre-a-pluviophile/

http://www.buzzfeed.com/missarticulate/11-signs-youre-a-pluviophile-voto#.mv844JNWV


Rain on the windshield=cozy drives.
       Tirzah always comments on the smell of rain when it comes.  
Although I love rain, I have to admit that I don't notice a scent change.
*notice the hoods...it was pouring in this incident.
raindrops on lenses.

ahh, puddle jumping.
welcome raindrops!!


P.S.  It hasn't rained in forever.  The clouds have been absent for ages.  What makes this blue sky and hot weather think it can stay?  It is unwelcome!  Go away!  *Please return, rain.*

3 comments:

  1. As someone who loves words (I think they call that a logophile) I am delighted to find a new word to describe the way I also feel about rain. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the subject. I also wrote a blog on the joy of rain a few years back, with some fun photos that you might enjoy. You can read that here:

    http://carlgray.livejournal.com/27848.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article! I just looked at the forecast for Philadelphia, and was disappointed to see sunny clear skies for the next 10 days. Ugh. Lol last week it rained during the day and I couldn't wait to get out of work to enjoy it. Don't you know that at exactly 5p.m., the sun came out? Everyone else was so giddy and I walked to the train feeling so upset, lol. Anyway, glad to have found another pluviophile like myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I find that pluviophiles as extreme as myself are rare. haha! Most people get so excited over the sun, and I'm thinking "when will the clouds replace that with rain again?" :) I can't wait for fall to begin so I can see rain and clouds in the forecast more regularly. This weekend we got a very rainy day, which was one of only a couple all summer! I was so excited that all I could do was sigh in satisfaction. ;) http://thesmallestsmall.blogspot.com/2015/08/blissfully-rainy-day.html
      ~Sharon

      Delete

Whether friend or stranger, I'm glad you stopped by! Hearing from you brightens my day, so feel free to communicate with me here.