Sunday, May 7, 2017

Make my life a prayer

"Make My Life a Prayer to You"another of my favorite Keith Green songs, matches my own prayer for my life.  Psalm 141:2 describes our prayers as sweet aromas to God.  Imagine how you feel when you smell coffee or your favorite candle--that's a picture of how God feels when He hears our prayer.  In 2 Corinthians 2:15, Paul says we--Christians--are also this pleasant smell to God.  And this is what I want my life to be like to Him.  I so want to do what He wants me to.
Make my life a prayer to You;
I wanna do what You want me to--
No empty words and no white lies,
No token prayers, no compromise.

I wanna shine the light You gave
Through Your Son You sent to save us
From ourselves and our despair.
It comforts me to know You're really there.

Well, I wanna thank You now 
For being patient with me.
Oh, it's so hard to see
When my eyes are on me.
I guess I'll have to trust 
And just believe what You say--
Oh, You're coming again,
Coming to take me away.

I wanna die and let You give
Your life to me so I might live
And share the hope You gave me:
The love that set me free.

I wanna tell the world out there
That You're not some fable or fairy-tale
That I've made up inside my head.
You're God the Son, and You've risen from the dead.

I think I always connect the most with the lines in the chorus: "it's so hard to see when my eyes are on me."  When we focus on ourselves, we can't be seeing Christ...and no one else can see Him through us either.  The reminder that He is, in fact, coming to take me away motivates me to not keep living for myself, but to make my life full of Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether friend or stranger, I'm glad you stopped by! Hearing from you brightens my day, so feel free to communicate with me here.