Sunday, June 21, 2015

a Small dad who lived big

Day by day and with each passing moment,
Strength I find to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment,
I've not cause for worry or for fear.
He whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what he deems best--
Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.

Ev'ry day the Lord Himself is near me 
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me,
He whose name is Counselor and Pow'r.
The protection of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
"As your days, your strength shall be in measure,"
This the pledge to me He made.

Help me then in ev'ry tribulation
So to trust Your promises, O Lord,
That I lose not faith's sweet consolation
Offered me within Your holy Word.
Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
E'er to take, as from a father's hand,
One by one, the days, the moment fleeting,
Till I reach the promised land.


The past few days have been hard, knowing that Father's Day was approaching.  How was I to celebrate?  Or, rather, how was I to watch everyone celebrating their dads when I had such emptiness and loss?

There are so many things I appreciate about Dad.  His internal magnet for Costco, his knowledge and wisdom, his leadership, his always timely puns, his willingness to serve others in their times of need, and his unfailing love for God and righteousness are only a few things.

I am so grateful for the 16 1/2 years God let Dad walk beside me and teach me about life and the ultimate Father.  I would rather have known him and now experience the pain of learning to live without him than not have known him at all.  God gave me such a faithful and skilled dad of whom I am very proud.  Thank you, Dad, for wanting me to live for Christ and for showing me how.  I love you a bunch.

So, happy Father's Day to all dads, but especially to the best: mine.


How I always felt with Dad!  He could be asked anything.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether friend or stranger, I'm glad you stopped by! Hearing from you brightens my day, so feel free to communicate with me here.