Friday, December 9, 2016

Behind the scenes

A couple months ago I had blogged about a Dr Pepper scholarship competition I entered as well as the few plans and thoughts I have for the future.  I had high hopes for this scholarship, both because Dr Pepper is my family's favorite soda, and because having school fully paid before even starting sounded like a dream come true.  
Well, I didn't make it on, but the process brought a lot of fun and memories anyway.  From drinking more soda than ever in the rest of my life combined to making a video to practicing football almost daily, it's hard to forget this process that has taken so much effort and excitement.  And, although it was disappointing to gain nothing after all, I learned a lot and enjoyed the process (for the most part).

One of the very beginning steps of the scholarship application was to make a video about my personal plans for a future at college.  I could never have done it without the amazing help of my friend (and "adopted" sister), who eagerly offered to help with both the filming and the editing.  She created a video to make me proud...and I am so thankful for all her sacrificial work in this!!  It was so fun to work together on the video, too, combining ideas and laughing a lot.  Here are some "behind the scenes" pictures on our video work together.

First set representing a possible future school room with myself as an elementary teacher!
Everyone knows that teachers perpetually keep apples on their desks.
I think it brings some kind of good luck for grades or something.

Set representing my future life as a very disorganized photojournalist.
I hope I don't really lose my passion for organization!

This wasn't even all that we bought...
Getting all this Dr Pepper and filling the fridge for the final scene was the best part.
I was, admittedly, very excited and proud of this ending.
Figuring out lighting in the kitchen after dark.  Tirzah made a lovely lights manager.
Deep thoughts come from contemplation over Dr Pepper cans

Such a beautiful sight!
After entering my video, I got to wait 2 long months to see if it was among the top 16.  The next step involved competing by throwing footballs (I know, it sounds dumb, but I thought it would be fun!) into a standing hole, and I knew I wanted to be prepared if my video was chosen.  I collected footballs from friends, neighbors, and the local school, accumulating 22 footballs total!  So, for a month, I threw footballs for 1 or 2 hours almost daily, with the faithful help of Tirzah and my mom.  Many days were cold--below freezing.  A few days brought us freezing rain, that made every layer drip with coldness.  Sometimes the practicing was plain discouraging and annoying.  But my football throw and aim improved by miles, at least.  (Really, I was bad at the beginning!)  Four days before the competition, now feeling rather prepared, I found out that my video was not chosen.  All the football practice ended up being for nothing besides memories. 

My target hole, made lovingly by my brother and sister, got a beating with so much practice.
My sweater got just a bit dirty after many muddy days of practice.
Although I didn't get any financial gain for my work, Dr Pepper remains the best soda out there.

Some have asked me if I will go for this again next year.  I don't know!  I know that I enjoyed the process, and it was a scholarship that was highly motivating to me.  So maybe I'll be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether friend or stranger, I'm glad you stopped by! Hearing from you brightens my day, so feel free to communicate with me here.