Wednesday, March 18, 2015

C. S. Lewis in Surprised by Joy



While I wouldn't exactly recommend Surprised by Joy by C. S. Lewis, as I found it to be a very difficult read, I did find some great insights from it that just might have made the reading worth it. :)

"Nothing, I suspect, is more astonishing in any man's life than the discovery that there do exist people very like himself."

"If ever finite disasters proved greater than one wished to bear, suicide would always be possible.  The horror of the Christian universe was that it had no door marked 'exit'"

"To prefer my own happiness to my neighbor's was like thinking that the nearest telegraph post was really the largest."

"I doubt anyone who has tasted [joy] would ever...exchange it for all the pleasures in the world.  But then joy is never in our power and pleasure often is."

"The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men."







No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether friend or stranger, I'm glad you stopped by! Hearing from you brightens my day, so feel free to communicate with me here.