Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Going the extra mile: writing a younger generation

I was a horrific letter-writer with miserable handwriting and pathetic writing skills.  My questions were almost entirely limited to "what is your favorite _____?" and I highly doubt that my writing style was enjoyable to read in a cozy armchair with a cup of tea in hand.  The childhood me had no idea how to appropriately entertain and inform in a letter.  Yet my cringe-worthy letters kept producing an impressive result of letters in reply that were humorous and newsy.  What was I doing right?
It wasn't what I was doing at all.

Let me tell you about a few people who lit up my life when I was a kid.  Somehow I was fortunate enough to have 4 or 5 young adults as pen-pals when I was going through my awkward letter writing phase (it was a long phase).   These girls kept up with me for many years, sent me pictures, consistently wrote me lengthy letters, and mailed packages or called on my birthday.  Many of these people lived out of state and rarely saw me; a couple of them had never actually met me personally, but they knew my family.  I adored them.  Now that I am an adult, I realize that they were actually giving me a gift every single time they wrote.  They certainly didn't keep up this streak because my letters were equally enjoyable to them!
I lost contact with most of these pen-pals when they each entered new phases of life, but they all remain a special memory from my childhood.  Why?  Because they made an insignificant kid feel like someone super special over and over again.

These past pen-pals are my inspiration.  As a young adult with an opportunity to pass on this gift to a younger generation, it's really an honor to be a "second generation mailbox delight."  The simple act of an occasional letter to someone who needs an adult's attention turns into an opportunity to be a mentor, a friend, and a role model.

However, there is no doubt that it's so much harder to write a letter when there is a large age span between you and the recipient.  This is something that I still struggle with because there is a gentle balance between writing at their level and not making them feel that you are dumbing-down language and concepts.  If you ever feel inspired to write a letter to someone younger, you might want to try out some of these tips:

1. Show interest in their lives.  Ask them questions, and be as specific as possible.  If you know anything about their recent life, ask questions like "what was your favorite thing about _____?"  If you don't know anything about the latest happenings, try to pick something seasonal to ask about, such as "what is your favorite Thanksgiving dish?" or "what did your family do for Thanksgiving?"  I find that these kinds of questions are easier than "what have you been up to?" for a younger audience because it helps direct their mental flow of thought.

2. Practice writing colorfully.  Children are a wonderful outlet for practicing writing with humor and intense interest.  One particular adult pen-pal of mine was extremely colorful and hilarious in her writing.  I loved her letters because they inspired me to be a better writer and to think from a new perspective, and I find myself still attempting to write the way she did.  She probably has no idea that the thought of her letters still makes me smile and they continue to inspire me many years later just because she put a lot of personality into her writing.

3. Pick unique topics from your own life to write about.  Just like a letter to a person of your own age, you want to include some newsy things about your life so that the recipient can get to know you.  This is a little more difficult for a young person, though, because more "exciting" events will be of particular interest.  If there isn't anything of recent or upcoming news that is childishly exciting in my life, then I get to make something routine sound exciting.  Or recall a small anecdote that brightened an otherwise dull routine.  This is a great opportunity to turn the every day into a colorful experience so that it will draw their young minds in to the action and fun...even when it seems like there isn't any.

4. For a Christian writing to a younger Christian, letters to younger people also provide a great opportunity to be a spiritual mentor.  While your audience will not share your level of maturity, discussing something you are learning or memorizing will encourage them in their spiritual journey.  In the event that you have created a solid relationship of trust and friendship through letters, sharing the spiritual side of life will communicate that being spiritually minded is "cool."  Just like I have always wanted to write with personality like my past pen-pal, young people tend to want to be like the adult mentor/friend that they have; including pieces of the spiritual could motivate them to be more active in pursuing their faith.

It is really humbling and exciting to think that simply keeping up letter communication with a young, eager friend could actually make a lifetime difference, even if it does demand some extra time and effort from my schedule.  It is so worth it in order to make their lives a more wonderful experience.
With Christmas fast approaching, I would really encourage you to consider giving the gift of going an extra mile of reaching out and choosing at least one younger person with whom to correspond.  Think of it as an investment of the best kind.  Try it.  You might find out that it encourages you in return.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is such an amazing idea. Thank you for sharing! I also had older women in my life as a child who invested in me and as I've grown they have continued to be some of the people that I look back and say impacted my life the most because they looked at me and didn't just see a little girl, but a young christian to be invested in for the glory of God's kingdom and it helped me to grow in my own identity in the Lord and in my faith. Thank you again for your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Mary! I am amazed by the way an adult can really impact a child just by treating them with value, and those are the people I think of with the most respect as I look back on my childhood. Now that I'm an adult, it's my turn to look for ways to do the same. Hopefully God will use me to make a difference in at least 1 person!

      Delete

Whether friend or stranger, I'm glad you stopped by! Hearing from you brightens my day, so feel free to communicate with me here.