Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Funny February

At the beginning of this month I was talking to my brother about stuff, particularly about this here blog.  That developed into a challenge for each other--write down the funniest thing that happens every day in February.  Unfortunately neither of us actually fulfilled the challenge, and I missed several days of this month.  I guess I should have put this on my daily to-do list.  But when I did remember, it was a good brain exercise to recall funny events from the day.  So here's my comic relief from the month.

FEBRUARY
2: A girl on my hall routinely makes phone calls on speaker while in the shower.  She has the advantage of holding the conversation in Spanish so that it's still "private," but it always amuses me to hear someone using the phone in the shower.

3: The "funniest" thing that happened today was the fact that I spent basically all day on my bed doing homework.  Somehow I don't find that all that funny.

4: My roommate and her sister are so hilarious.  I got some good laughs out of listening to the sister bemoan her coming-up interview assignment and then proceed to seemingly forget how to even talk in full sentences.  This is the meaning of college.

5: "Eating oranges is like eating sunshine.  It's good for you."  When it comes to rants about staying healthy, my history teacher is quite humorous.  "And DON'T drink out of the water fountains!!"

6: "I don't like mint anything.  Mint is for toothpaste.  When I see people buy mint ice cream, I wonder why they don't just eat their toothpaste.  I don't like to eat toothpaste."  ~roommate

7: "Mmmm, this food is actually warm and smells so good.  Should we just sit here and smell it until it gets to a food temperature we're used to?"  A friend and I went out to a restaurant for dinner and couldn't stop marveling over the characteristics of "real food." We were so excited to eat something hot and flavored, which isn't quite what we're used to on campus.

9: "Studying" with a friend at breakfast.  When it comes to history, we get to argue about pronunciation and talk about things completely unrelated to history.  It's always a good way to start the morning.

10: So many funny things about today, but watching faculty against students in a Family Feud on campus was pretty amazing.  It's so much fun to see the teachers outside of the classroom and in their real personalities.

11: ...studying for history?

12: I don't usually text people about tests right afterward, but today I did because I was previously joking with a friend about this specific test and my high expectations of the grade.  But I didn't feel too good about it after the test was over, so I texted her and said "that was NOT an A"....I was thankful to be proven wrong.

13: Walking downtown and exaggerating about everything is actually pretty fun.  After being within the "BJU Bubble" for so long, getting out into the world made Mariah and I notice things a lot more than usual.  "Look at those people running so slowly."  "Look at the beautiful, muddy river."  "I'm sure the color of the trees and grass are brighter out here."

16: I got some pretty wonderful mail today...a package from my mom that contained a most extraordinary object.  The grey pom-pom bird, yet unnamed, will probably always bring a huge smile to my face.

18: I got to Skype with my family--all getting together for a traditional, family Valentines party without me.  I was particularly ecstatic to "be there" for the announcement of niece/nephew #14!  As soon as I got off with my family, I had to go to my friend's room and force her to be excited with me.  "I know you don't care, but I just had to share it with someone..."

19: My bowling abilities have declined since last time I visited the alley.  My bowling experience has been minimal, but a friend and I got to go again for a special discount night nearby.  She skunked me, but we both had to laugh over our bowling skills compared to the people surrounding us.






20: I chose the wrong friend to join me in a vendor table walk-through on campus...a supposedly 20 minute limit I gave turned into an hour as she dragged me through the whole room of tables.

23: History is so much funnier with memory connectors.  And sometimes those connectors get seemingly out of hand, involving learning a German word and mispronouncing names.

24: A friend's basketball game was pretty intense with a final win by 2 points!

26: Fire drills involve breaking so many rules.  Being outside after curfew, in pajamas (!), and without shoes in some cases.

27: Realized--maybe for the first time--that the light will not come on more gradually even if I flip the switch very slowly.

28: A friend and I got in line for dinner tonight; a couple seconds later I turned to her with a confused face and said, "Umm.."  And she just says, "Yeah, I know.  I'm not sure."  The best thing is that we both know exactly what the unspoken sentences are.

2 comments:

  1. This is so fantastic!! I needed the laugh today, thank you! I especially love #26. How dare you break the rules!
    Love you and just think you're incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keren! Glad you got a laugh, too. :) A friend and I even walked on the grass that night since all the other rules were being broken, too.

      Delete

Whether friend or stranger, I'm glad you stopped by! Hearing from you brightens my day, so feel free to communicate with me here.